by Mike Ruscigno in Bayonne, NJ published on "You Tube"
Here is the March, 2019 newsletter!
1. THURSDAY Bird Walks: March 7--CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER. March 14, 21 and 28 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am. Meet at the big wood gazebo in Stephen Gregg Hudson County Park. We’ll start by looking at the ducks and loons on Newark Bay. Bring your binoculars, we’ll bring the scope.
2. MEETING: Thursday, March 7 at 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm at the Bayonne Public Library on Ave. C and 31st Street in the downstairs small conference room. Just talking about birds and nature. Come share your stories!
3. SATURDAY Bird Walks: March 9, and 23 at 9:00 am to 11:00 am at Lefante Walk. Meet at the first green bridge behind Otaiko Restaurant in South Cove Commons Mall. Bring your binoculars, we’ll bring the scope. Spring migration begins.
4. Saturday, March 16, 9:00 am to 11:00 am Shoreline Clean-up at Rutkowski Park. Meet at the gate near the restrooms in S. Gregg Hudson County Park, down from 48th Street. Dress for dirty work, wear boots. Tools, garbage bags, gloves, snacks and water will be provided. We want to finish removing trash from this park before the ticks and fleas return in the spring.
5. Saturday, March 30, Craft Fair–Fund Raiser at 56th Street Senior Center (Ave. B) from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm. We will offer house plants, driftwood art, and other artworks for a donation. Funds will pay for water and snacks for our environmental heroes who do the shoreline clean ups.
Be sure to tell your friends! Join the Bayonne Nature Club by coming to a bird walk, meeting or shoreline clean-up or help with the butterfly garden and/or by displaying your photos at the library. Find us on FACEBOOK. We charge no dues. We are nature enthusiasts and activists. Please consider making a donation. We hope to see you soon!
to the Bayonne
BAYONNE NATURE CLUB
Appreciating, protecting and improving urban nature sites
We have expenses too: the cost of the web site, the cost of water and snacks for the shoreline clean-up volunteers and the bird feeder campaign. We also purchase nature/science books and donate them to the Public Library.
If you have items appropriate for flea markets/rummage sales that you would be willing to give up, we will pick them up and sell them and keep the proceeds as a donation. Please click on the contact button below, tell us what you have.
Sorry! We are not a 501(c)3.
This King Rail and chick was seen in Bayonne NJ, July 26, 2014 from Lefante Walk.
This Clapper Rail was seen in Bayonne NJ, August, 2012. A Marsh Wren is singing in the tall grass out of sight.
This Yellow-crowned Night Heron was seen in Bayonne NJ June, 2013. Video by Michael Ruscigno.
The first Bald Eagle seen in Hudson County, NJ in over 50 years. Eagle populations are increasing in NJ as the rivers become cleaner. This is why we fight for cleaner rivers. Video taken on Feb. 25, 2015 by Mike Ruscigno.
These male Wood Ducks were seen competing with each other March 10, 2016 off Lefante Walk in Bayonne NJ.
A Clapper Rail builds a nest June 7, 2016. Mike Ruscigno took this video from Lefante Walk, Bayonne NJ.
This video confirms that Oyster Catchers were seen at the Cove of Liberty State Park. Better yet, the immature seen in this video confirms that there was a successful nesting. Video taken by Mike Ruscigno.
A Merlin (falcon) devours a Mockingbird from high up in a tree. Video taken Oct. 7, 2016 at Lincoln Park in Jersey City, NJ. Video by Mike Ruscigno.
To see more pictures taken by our Bayonne Nature Club members, Follow us on FACEBOOK.
September 29, 2017 Mike Ruscigno discovers the first American Bittern anyone has recorded off Lefante Walkway, South Cove Commons mall. These birds are very secretive and Mike took this video early in the morning as the sun rose and the tide went down.
Below is a Buckeye butterfly and a Painted Lady. Both were seen at Liberty State Park, Jersey City, NJ on October 6, 2017
A Snowy Owl visits the roof top of a house in Bayonne NJ. We named her Eve because she came to roost in our town on Christmas Eve. See the video by Mike Ruscigno left.
See video at left of Harbor Seals in NY Harbor seen from Bayonne Golf Course Walkway/Lefante Walk.
Video at left: It is called a Rail, but is it a Clapper Rail or a King Rail? Seen off the big green bridge of Lefante Way, South Cove Commons Mall, Bayonne NJ. Spring 2018.
Video at left: This Whimbrel was seen walking the mud flats at Rutkowski Park on July 23, 2018. So rare, we had to report it to ebird. Video by Mike Ruscigno
At left, Tricolor Heron and Great Egrets seen at Liberty State Park. Video by Mike Ruscigno.
August 17, 2018, Mike saw an adult Clapper Rail and chick playing in the pond below the big green bridge on Lefante Walk, South Cove Commons Mall, Bayonne Golf Course Walkway. Proof once again that clapper rails are nesting in the wildlife area along the walkway.