Scroll down for some incredible bird and butterfly videos taken
by Mike Ruscigno in Bayonne, NJ published on "You Tube"
Here is the March, 2018 newsletter!
1. Thursday, March 1 at 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm MEETING at the Bayonne Public Library on Ave. C and 31st Street in the downstairs small conference room. We are doing a book exchange. Bring any books you have to share, bring back what you took last time, see what new books we’ll have at this meeting! Talking about Spring!
2. THURSDAY Bird Walks: March 22 CANCELLED due to snow. Next Thursday March 29 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am. Meet at the big wood gazebo in Stephen Gregg Hudson County Park. We’ll start by looking for ducks and loons on Newark Bay. New species could be stopping by on their way north. Bring your binoculars, we’ll bring the scope.
3. Saturday, March 3, at Liberty State Park from 10:30 am to 12:00 pm. Come walk with the Friends of Liberty State Park to protest Liberty National Golf Course’s plan to take away parkland at Caven Point Cove. Yes, our state park is under attack again! Come walk and join the protest. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR COMING!
4. Saturday, March 10, Craft Fair Fund Raiser at 56th Street Senior Center from 9 an to 2:00 pm. We're going to have large collection of indoor plants. All donation dollars go to the Club to pay for our web site and buy snacks and water for our shoreline clean-up volunteers. Thanks to everyone for making your donations!
5. Saturday, March 24, 9:00 am to 11:00 am Shoreline Clean-up at Rutkowski Park. Meet at the gate down from 48th Street in Gregg Hudson County Park. Dress for dirty work, wear boots. Tools, garbage bags, gloves, snacks and water will be provided. Let’s clean up one of Bayonne’s favorite nature areas.
6. Saturday, Bird Walk, March 31 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am at Lefante Walk. Meet behind Otaiko Restaurant, South Cove Commons Mall, off Rt 440. Spring is coming, more species of birds will begin coming through. We’ll bring the scope!
Be sure to tell your friends! Join the Bayonne Nature Club by coming to a bird walk, meeting or shoreline clean-up or help with the butterfly garden and/or by displaying your photos at the library. Find us on FACEBOOK. We charge no dues. We are nature enthusiasts and activists. Please consider making a donation. We hope to see you soon!
to the Bayonne
BAYONNE NATURE CLUB
Appreciating, protecting and improving urban nature sites
We have expenses too: the cost of the web site, the cost of water and snacks for the shoreline clean-up volunteers and the bird feeder campaign. We also purchase nature/science books and donate them to the Public Library.
If you have items appropriate for flea markets/rummage sales that you would be willing to give up, we will pick them up and sell them and keep the proceeds as a donation. Please click on the contact button below, tell us what you have.
Sorry! We are not a 501(c)3.
This King Rail and chick was seen in Bayonne NJ, July 26, 2014 from Lefante Walk.
This Clapper Rail was seen in Bayonne NJ, August, 2012. A Marsh Wren is singing in the tall grass out of sight.
This Yellow-crowned Night Heron was seen in Bayonne NJ June, 2013. Video by Michael Ruscigno.
The first Bald Eagle seen in Hudson County, NJ in over 50 years. Eagle populations are increasing in NJ as the rivers become cleaner. This is why we fight for cleaner rivers. Video taken on Feb. 25, 2015 by Mike Ruscigno.
These male Wood Ducks were seen competing with each other March 10, 2016 off Lefante Walk in Bayonne NJ.
Bobolink singing in field at Newark Bay Waterfront Walkway. May 2016. Video by Mike Ruscigno. This is not a common bird for this area. Its song is unusual. Some say it sounds like R2D2 of Star Wars. Does it?
A Clapper Rail builds a nest June 7, 2016. Mike Ruscigno took this video from Lefante Walk, Bayonne NJ.
This video confirms that Oyster Catchers were seen at the Cove of Liberty State Park. Better yet, the immature seen in this video confirms that there was a successful nesting.
Video taken by Mike Ruscigno.
A Merlin (falcon) devours a Mockingbird from high up in a tree. Video taken Oct. 7, 2016 at Lincoln Park in Jersey City, NJ. Video by Mike Ruscigno.
To see more pictures taken by our Bayonne Nature Club members, Follow us on FACEBOOK.
September 29, 2017 Mike Ruscigno discovers the first American Bittern anyone has recorded off Lefante Walkway, South Cove Commons mall. These birds are very secretive and Mike took this video early in the morning as the sun rose and the tide went down.
Below is a Buckeye butterfly and a Painted Lady. Both were seen at Liberty State Park, Jersey City, NJ on October 6, 2017
Dickcissel, a singing male, was seen in the Ocean Terminal fields on June 23, 2017
A Snowy Owl visits the roof top of a house in Bayonne NJ. We named her Eve because she came to roost in our town on Christmas Eve. See the video by Mike Ruscigno below.
Snowy Owl seen on Dec. 24, 2018. Photo by Patricia Hilliard.