Scroll down for some incredible bird and butterfly videos taken
by Mike Ruscigno in Bayonne, NJ published on "You Tube"
Here is the June, 2018 newsletter!
1. Thursday, June 7 at 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm MEETING at the Bayonne Public Library on Ave. C and 31st Street in the downstairs small conference room. The book and magazine exchange is very popular. Bring any books or magazines you have to share, return any books you took last time.
2. THURSDAY Bird Walks: June 7, 14, 21 and 28 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am. Meet at the big wood gazebo in Stephen Gregg Hudson County Park. Bring your binoculars, we’ll bring the scope.
3. SATURDAY Bird Walks will be June 2 and 30 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am at Lefante Walk. Meet behind Otaiko Restaurant, South Cove Commons Mall, off Rt 440. Bring your binoculars. We’ll bring the scope!
4. Saturday, June 9, from 9:00 am to 11:00 am Shoreline Clean-up Newark Bay Waterfront Walk (behind the old A&P) near Planet Fitness. We’ll be removing plastic bottles and other trash to keep it from going into the bay and ocean. Dress for dirty work, wear boots. Tools, garbage bags, gloves, snacks and water will be provided.
5. Saturday, June 16, Flea Market Fund Raiser at Saint Henry’s from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm. All fund-raising dollars go to pay for our web site and buy snacks and water for our shoreline clean-up volunteers.
6. Friday, June 22, 4:00 to 7:00 pm, Summer Solstice Picnic at Gregg Hudson County Park in the picnic area (best parking on Kennedy Blvd). Bring a dish to share. Bring your own beverages. We will have some plates, utensils and water available. Bring friends or family. We hope to see you there!
Be sure to tell your friends! Join the Bayonne Nature Club by coming to a bird walk, meeting or shoreline clean-up or help with the butterfly garden and/or by displaying your photos at the library. Find us on FACEBOOK. We charge no dues. We are nature enthusiasts and activists. Please consider making a donation. We hope to see you soon!
to the Bayonne
BAYONNE NATURE CLUB
Appreciating, protecting and improving urban nature sites
We have expenses too: the cost of the web site, the cost of water and snacks for the shoreline clean-up volunteers and the bird feeder campaign. We also purchase nature/science books and donate them to the Public Library.
If you have items appropriate for flea markets/rummage sales that you would be willing to give up, we will pick them up and sell them and keep the proceeds as a donation. Please click on the contact button below, tell us what you have.
Sorry! We are not a 501(c)3.
This King Rail and chick was seen in Bayonne NJ, July 26, 2014 from Lefante Walk.
This Clapper Rail was seen in Bayonne NJ, August, 2012. A Marsh Wren is singing in the tall grass out of sight.
This Yellow-crowned Night Heron was seen in Bayonne NJ June, 2013. Video by Michael Ruscigno.
The first Bald Eagle seen in Hudson County, NJ in over 50 years. Eagle populations are increasing in NJ as the rivers become cleaner. This is why we fight for cleaner rivers. Video taken on Feb. 25, 2015 by Mike Ruscigno.
These male Wood Ducks were seen competing with each other March 10, 2016 off Lefante Walk in Bayonne NJ.
Bobolink singing in field at Newark Bay Waterfront Walkway. May 2016. Video by Mike Ruscigno. This is not a common bird for this area. Its song is unusual. Some say it sounds like R2D2 of Star Wars. Does it?
A Clapper Rail builds a nest June 7, 2016. Mike Ruscigno took this video from Lefante Walk, Bayonne NJ.
This video confirms that Oyster Catchers were seen at the Cove of Liberty State Park. Better yet, the immature seen in this video confirms that there was a successful nesting.
Video taken by Mike Ruscigno.
A Merlin (falcon) devours a Mockingbird from high up in a tree. Video taken Oct. 7, 2016 at Lincoln Park in Jersey City, NJ. Video by Mike Ruscigno.
To see more pictures taken by our Bayonne Nature Club members, Follow us on FACEBOOK.
September 29, 2017 Mike Ruscigno discovers the first American Bittern anyone has recorded off Lefante Walkway, South Cove Commons mall. These birds are very secretive and Mike took this video early in the morning as the sun rose and the tide went down.
Below is a Buckeye butterfly and a Painted Lady. Both were seen at Liberty State Park, Jersey City, NJ on October 6, 2017
Dickcissel, a singing male, was seen in the Ocean Terminal fields on June 23, 2017
A Snowy Owl visits the roof top of a house in Bayonne NJ. We named her Eve because she came to roost in our town on Christmas Eve. See the video by Mike Ruscigno below.
Snowy Owl seen on Dec. 24, 2018. We named her Eve in honor of the day. Photo by Patricia Hilliard.
See video below of Harbor Seals in NY Harbor seen from Bayonne Golf Course Walkway/Lefante Walk.