by Mike Ruscigno in Bayonne, NJ published on "You Tube"
WEDNESDAY Bird Walk: July 31 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am. Meet at the gate of Rutkowski Park near the restrooms of Stephen Gregg Hudson County Park. We’ll bring the scope.
August 2019 Newsletter of Events!
1. Thursday, August 1, MEETING at 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm at the Bayonne Public Library on Ave. C and 31st Street, in the downstairs small conference room. Let’s talk nature!
2. Saturday, August 3 Fund Raiser from 9:00am to 3:00 pm we’re doing a yard sale as a fund raiser to cover the cost of our website, and for snacks and water for our environmental heroes. Contact us if you have something to donate or want more details.
3. WEDNESDAY Bird Walks: August 7, 14, 21 and 28 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am. Meet at the gate of Rutkowski Park near the restrooms of Stephen Gregg Hudson County Park. Bring your binoculars, we’ll bring the scope.
4. Saturday, August 17, 9:00 am to 11:00 am Shoreline Clean-up at Rutkowski Park, meet at the gate in Gregg Hudson County Park down from 48th Street. Dress for dirty work. Tools, garbage bags, gloves, snacks and water will be provided. Hackensack Riverkeeper is coming with their boats. They will work until 1pm. Please feel free to stay past 11am if you want to share in the pizza that is ordered after the clean-up.
5. SATURDAY Bird Walks: August 10 and 31 at 9:00 am to 11:00 am at Lefante Walk. Meet at the first green bridge behind Otaiko Restaurant in South Cove Commons Mall. Bring your binoculars, we’ll bring the scope. We’re looking for migrating shorebirds. Note: Aug 3 we are doing a fund-raiser yard sale. Note: NO BIRD WALK AUG. 24.
Be sure to tell your friends! Join the Bayonne Nature Club by coming to a bird walk, meeting or shoreline clean-up or help with the butterfly garden and/or by displaying your photos at the library. Find us on FACEBOOK. We charge no dues. We are nature enthusiasts and activists. Please consider making a donation. We hope to see you soon!
to the Bayonne
BAYONNE NATURE CLUB
Appreciating, protecting and improving urban nature sites
We have expenses too: the cost of the web site, the cost of water and snacks for the shoreline clean-up volunteers and the bird feeder campaign. We also purchase nature/science books and donate them to the Public Library.
If you have items appropriate for flea markets/rummage sales that you would be willing to give up, we will pick them up and sell them and keep the proceeds as a donation. Please click on the contact button below, tell us what you have.
Sorry! We are not a 501(c)3.
This King Rail and chick was seen in Bayonne NJ, July 26, 2014 from Lefante Walk.
This Clapper Rail was seen in Bayonne NJ, August, 2012. A Marsh Wren is singing in the tall grass out of sight.
This Yellow-crowned Night Heron was seen in Bayonne NJ June, 2013. Video by Michael Ruscigno.
The first Bald Eagle seen in Hudson County, NJ in over 50 years. Eagle populations are increasing in NJ as the rivers become cleaner. This is why we fight for cleaner rivers. Video taken on Feb. 25, 2015 by Mike Ruscigno.
These male Wood Ducks were seen competing with each other March 10, 2016 off Lefante Walk in Bayonne NJ.
A Clapper Rail builds a nest June 7, 2016. Mike Ruscigno took this video from Lefante Walk, Bayonne NJ.
This video confirms that Oyster Catchers were seen at the Cove of Liberty State Park. Better yet, the immature seen in this video confirms that there was a successful nesting. Video taken by Mike Ruscigno.
A Merlin (falcon) devours a Mockingbird from high up in a tree. Video taken Oct. 7, 2016 at Lincoln Park in Jersey City, NJ. Video by Mike Ruscigno.
To see more pictures taken by our Bayonne Nature Club members, Follow us on FACEBOOK.
September 29, 2017 Mike Ruscigno discovers the first American Bittern anyone has recorded off Lefante Walkway, South Cove Commons mall. These birds are very secretive and Mike took this video early in the morning as the sun rose and the tide went down.
Below is a Buckeye butterfly and a Painted Lady. Both were seen at Liberty State Park, Jersey City, NJ on October 6, 2017
A Snowy Owl visits the roof top of a house in Bayonne NJ. We named her Eve because she came to roost in our town on Christmas Eve. See the video by Mike Ruscigno left.
See video at left of Harbor Seals in NY Harbor seen from Bayonne Golf Course Walkway/Lefante Walk.
Video at left: It is called a Rail, but is it a Clapper Rail or a King Rail? Seen off the big green bridge of Lefante Way, South Cove Commons Mall, Bayonne NJ. Spring 2018.
Video at left: This Whimbrel was seen walking the mud flats at Rutkowski Park on July 23, 2018. So rare, we had to report it to ebird. Video by Mike Ruscigno
At left, Tricolor Heron and Great Egrets seen at Liberty State Park. Video by Mike Ruscigno.
August 17, 2018, Mike saw an adult Clapper Rail and chick playing in the pond below the big green bridge on Lefante Walk, South Cove Commons Mall, Bayonne Golf Course Walkway. Proof once again that clapper rails are nesting in the wildlife area along the walkway.